Saturday, April 9, 2011

The SURF Ballroom Clear Lake Iowa











“A long long time ago,I can still remember How that music used to make me smile…, But February made me shiver,with every paper I’d deliver BAD NEWS on the doorstep,I couldn’t take one more step. I can’t remember if I cried,when I read about his widowed bride But something touched me deep inside THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED” February 3, 1959

Don McLean "American Pie" 1972


This was ten months before I was born. I first recall being exposed to Buddy Holly. There was a commercial for a compilation of his music on tv, my ears perked up and I became a fan from that point on. I've always loved the early R&R, Buddy, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Everly Brothers.... Don McLean's fantastic epic "American Pie" nurtured that love of the music and made it grow further.

Travelling to Knoxville Iowa for sprint car racing we'd pass by Clear Lake, where "the music died" that Feb night so long ago. We finally stopped to visit the SURF Ballroom in Clear Lake Iowa where that final concert was played. Dion was on that tour and talks of it on a 2003 DVD and a recent CD release. If you really want a good movie, watch "The Real Buddy Holly Story" that Paul McCartney did.

No comments:

Post a Comment